Dyslexia from A to Z
Kathy Sherman, Co-Founder of Hillside School, will discuss dyslexia, the Science of Reading, and how to support your student.
- What is the Science of Reading?
- The Nuts and Bolts of Dyslexia
- The Impact Dyslexia Has on Learning and Emotions
- How Reading, Writing, and Math are Affected
- Ways to Support at Home
- How to Support at School
Presenter: Kathy Sherman, MA, Hillside School
Kathy’s lifelong passion for working with children who learn differently has led her to study and integrate the principles of neuroscience into her and the school’s work as a way to better understand all aspects of a child’s learning dynamic and well-being.
Advocating for Special Ed Students with Jessica Diamond
Jessica Diamond, Owner of Advocating for Solutions, LLC, covers the important topic about special education advocacy. In this 75-minute
session, Jessica will cover the difference between 504 and IEP plans
and will walk you through the essentials for a successful advocacy plan
for your student. This session is jam-packed with useful info – you won’t want to miss it!
Jessica developed a passion for Special Education
Advocacy after navigating the process for her own children. Seeing
firsthand the struggles families face and the tools/resources that can
help bring successful outcomes, she began working with other families.
Jessica has a varied background in the business world from non-profit
start-ups to marketing/sales in the healthcare industry. Her strong
analytical skills to collect and interpret data combined with strong
negotiation and communication skills has led to many successful outcomes for students and families. Jessica believes in continuous training to better support families. She has attended training from Peter Wright (Special Education Attorney Thought Leader) with WrightsLaw on Special Education Law & Advocacy and is a member of COPAA (Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates).
In this one-hour session, Brandon Slade from Untapped Learning will cover:
- What executive function is;
- How to develop executive function skills;
- How to “do school”;
- And how parents can support their students.
- Overcoming Dyslexia – Sally Shaywitz (also on Yale website)
- The Dyslexic Advantage – B./F. Eide
- The Dyslexia Empowerment Plan – Ben Foss
- Learning Scientists website https://www.learningscientists.org/
- Spelling and Dyslexia: Making Sense of It All –Kelli-Sandman-Hurley
- The Relaxation Revolution – Herbert Benson, MD
- Opening Minds: Using Language to Change Lives – Peter Johnston
- Dyslexia Declarations from Yale Center for Dyslexia & Creativity
- Success & Inspirational Stories from Dyslexiahelp
- BVKID parent support group on Facebook
- Learning with Dyslexia resources for educators & parents
- International Dyslexia Association
- LD Online
Successful Learning During the Pandemic
Ten Tips on How to Help Your Dyslexic Learner